So, you are wondering ‘How to Start a blog’? You have come to the right place. Well I can assume or think your situation right now as I was also under the same situation a few years ago when there wasn’t much available as how to start a blog & I had to google a lot & made my day & night until I found how to start blog. I really had very less technical knowledge at that time & I started my first blog in the year of 2006 when the blogging community was just starting to rise. Anyways you have come to the right place as I will be sharing my experience as how I started a blog & what were the issues I faced so that you don’t have to go through the hard time of googling web.
Although I had written a post earlier as well with regards to Starting a blog on wordpress as well blogspot & I shared a comparison as well. If you have not gone through the same, please do have a look.
Suggested Read – Blog Setup Guide (WordPress Vs Blogspot)
Why Start a Blog?
There may be different reasons for everyone depending upon one’s requirements. Below are some of the reasons which I can think of as why would like to start a blog.
Suggested Read - Affiliate Marketing Guide
- To Make Money Online: most of the individuals like to start a blog because they like to make money online. Blogging is one of the popular methods of making money online. You may like to have a look at the link below to explore more the on the same.
- Just for Fun: some people do like to start a blog just for the fun as they have something to write about anything they are passionate about. Some of the examples may be writing about travelling experiences, Cooking, Sports etc.
- Author a Book: if you are a writer by profession then you may want to start a blog because you like to write down your thoughts & since people know you then it makes sense to have online presence online & blog is one of the best ways to stay connected with your audience.
- Content Marketing: you may want to market your business as you may have services or products to sell out. Blogging is best when it comes to content marketing as it spreads a lot of awareness about your product or service.
- Sharing your experiences or helping out others: You like to share your experiences on various things such as travelling experiences, troubleshooting etc. You ae willing to help out others by sharing your technical skills to solve things out or sharing various new things which people are not aware about or may be teaching through your blog etc.
Whatever the reason is you will need to follow below steps in order to start a blog.
How to Start a Blog?
- Deciding What to Blog about
- Choose a platform to Create Blog on
- Pick a Domain Name
- Chose a Hosting Plan (if going for wordpress with domain name)
- Install WordPress
We will be discussing about these topics in detail below:
1. Decide What to Blog About?
This is one of the most important & crucial parts before you head towards starting a blog. As this is the deciding factor of the future of your blog specifically if you are writing blog to make money.
I had written a good post on How to decide what to Blog About. You should read the same first before you go ahead. I will just summarise for you what to do before starting a blog:
- Do your research as what people are blogging about?
- You should be comfortable writing on the topics.
- There should be enough room to discussion on topics you write
- Choose topic which you know already about as you will be more comfortable on the same
- Write what you like/love.
Suggested Read: 50+ Ideas to Blog About
2. Choose a platform to Create Blog on
There are many platforms available where you can write your blog or start your blog however below three are most popular ones.
Out of these three tumblr is used mostly by people who are not regular writer or are not the ones who take blogging as profession.
Out of other two platforms (WordPress Vs Blogspot) I would personally recommend wordpress as I also use the same and is by far the best & mostly used by professional bloggers.
Please follow the link If you like to read the comparison between WordPress & Blogspot.
I have explained out in details as why wordpress is more reliable as well as more secured in addition to other things.
We will discuss only wordpress.org in this blog.
3. Pick a Domain Name
Once you have decided what platform to blog on the next step is to chose a domain name. Domain name is the address of your blog so you have choose it wisely so that people can easily spell it out or type in easily.
Where to buy a domain name?
There are many websites where you can buy domain name however it makes sense you buy a domain from where you have purchased hosting or vice-versa. Below are the popular websites where you can purchase a domain name:
- www.godaddy.com (follow link – https://www.godaddy.com )
- www.bluehost.com (follow link – https://www.bluehost.in/domain-registration/index.php)
Type in the name of the domain you would like to purchase and then follow the steps as suggested on the website.
Tips to Pick a Domain Name:
Domain name is your brand identity so you have to choose your domain wisely. Although there is no set criterion to choose a domain however there are some things which you need to follow before you purchase a domain:
- Choose a domain easy to remember or type in
- Try to have a .com domain if you have blog topics to cover globally. Or else you should have local domain extension if your target market is a specific country.
- Choose a domain which has some meaning
- Choose a domain which sounds catchy
- If you are not able to find out what is right, then you can have your name as your domain name
- Most of the popular bloggers do have their names as their domain names
- Don’t choose lengthy domains
4. Choose a Hosting Plan
As suggested above choose a hosting plan from where you have chosen the domain name. You have again two options to chose from.
- godaddy.com (https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting )
- bluehost.com (https://www.bluehost.com/web-hosting/index.php)
Once you are done with purchasing a hosting plan please follow the steps below:
5. Installing WordPress
Please follow the links below for installing wordpress:
Installing WordPress For Bluehost hosting plan
Watch the video Below:
WordPress Installation for Godaddy
Please follow the link below
Or Watch Video
Once you are done with all these 5 steps you are ready to make your first post live on your blog.
You will have your login details for wordpress while setting up the blog and then after logging in you will be taken to the wordpress dashboard.
You can change the theme of your blog by following below steps:
Click on Appearance –>Themes –> you will land on below page. You can select any theme from the listed ones or add your own new theme (click on add new button).